Special Educational Plan


An Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) is used when a 504 Plan is not enough or ineffective. There is no limit placed on the accommodations that can be given to a student, other than those placed by the schools.


 A Section 504 Plan can be requested from a school when Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder symptoms are negatively impacting a student’s education and ability to learn, but an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) can be requested when a 504 Plan is not adequately addressing the student’s educational needs. It is best to request an IEP in writing, and there are time mandates that dictate a school’s response time to the service request. Special education services can be time consuming and costly for schools, so some school may lean towards not providing services or providing minimal services.


If you feel that your student’s ADHD symptoms warrant a 504 Plan or an IEP and the school refuses to provide services and/or accommodations or is not providing adequate help a complaint with the California Department of Education or a complaint with the United States Department of Education may be filed. It is not uncommon to come across students who were refused services by their schools for various reasons; the students’ limitations are not severe enough to qualify, evaluations reveal no qualifying limitations, or claims that a student is too intelligent to qualify. However, they may still qualify and a therapist who is knowledgeable in the area of Special Education can be of assistance with the process of obtaining services and/or accommodations from the schools.