Filing a Special Education Complaint


If you feel that your student’s Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder symptoms warrant a 504 Plan or an IEP and the school refuses you have a right to file a complaint, but it may be helpful to first address the problem with the school district’s office of administration.


If after speaking to the school and school district you feel that the school is failing to provide needed and mandated services and/or accommodations or is simply not providing adequate help a complaint with the California Department of Education or a complaint with the United States Department of Education may be filed. It is not uncommon to come across students who were refused services by their schools for various reasons; the students’ limitations are not severe enough to qualify, evaluations reveal no qualifying limitations, or are claims that a student is too intelligent to qualify. However, they may still qualify and a therapist who is knowledgeable in the area of Special Education can be of assistance with the process of obtaining services and accommodations from the schools.